Home servers are starting to become a thing of the past, but there is still a configuration which makes sense today. This configuration allows you to enable many great features including home NAS using FreeNAS software, media server for your PCs, and Smart TVs, private cloud storage, a bitcoin miner, and much more all running on a single server. This is accomplished by virtualization using VMware software, installed on a dedicated single box with the capacity to run Windows, Linux and other operating systems at the same time. Check out our Youtube video for an overview and setup of our home server.
The home server includes industry-grade hardware including Intel Xeon CPUs and ECC memory.
- CPU: Intel Xeon 1220 V3
- Motherboard: Asus P9D-C/4L server motherboard
- Memory: Crucial 16GB Kit EEC Kit
- Case: Fractal Design Define R5 super quiet case
- Power Supply: 500W 80+ Gold Silver Stone PSU
- Main SSD for virtual machines: Intel SSD 545 250Gb
- HDD: 3 x WD Red 3TB NAS drives
- Host Bus Adapter: LSI Logic SAS9211-8I 8PORT